Also known as Type-C, USB-C is a connector standard published by the USB-IF. USB-IF are the designers of the USB associated with established consumer electronics communities like Intel, Apple, Dell, etc. They designed the USB for universality and user friendliness.
What Does a USB-C Charger Look Like?
The USB-C cable head is smaller than ever before. Apart from the consistent oval shape, it almost resembles the Micro-USB connector.
Related article: USB C vs A vs B: Which One Do You Need for Your Product?
How Is USB-C Different From Other USB ports?
There are some differences between USB-C and other USB ports, let’s check the details from the user friendliness, data performance, and more.
- Features a reversible connector shape: The USB-C connector will work regardless of how you plug it in. Hence no more flipping the connector trying to find the correct orientation.
- Universality: All devices are adopting this USB connector shape, from smartphones to laptops to operating systems like Windows, iOS, Google, etc. This is a total game-changer as you won’t have to keep multiple USB cables for different devices. The notable hold-out is of course the iPhone series.
- Speed: Both USB4 and Thunderbolt 4 can transfer data at speeds of 40 gigabits per second. They both use the USB-C connector. Additionally, both Thunderbolt 4 and USB4 were introduced with Intel’s 11th Generation “Tiger Lake” Core processors.
- 4K Ultra HD Support: USB-C cables can impressively deliver four times the resolution of the standard high definition. This means they have the capability to deliver 4K video resolution to USB-C and HDMI displays.
- Power: Previously, the USB 2.0 only offered 2.5 watts of power which meant that you were only going to be able to charge your phone or tablet. USB-C on the other hand, thanks to the USB PD specification takes the power delivery up to 100 watts. With this amount of power, you can power almost everything from high-resolution monitors to even some printers.
Additionally, it’s bi-directional. Therefore, a device can either receive or send power. Furthermore, this power transfer and data transfer can take place simultaneously.
USB-C Is Here To Stay
USB-C has received such widespread support in the industry making it an extremely widely adopted standard. This gives it an edge over existing USB connections as everything it promises can be applied across all sorts of devices. USB-C has even gone so far as to replace the 3.5mm audio jack in many devices.
Which USB-C Charger Should I Use?
There are a number of different devices that utilize USB-C ports, whether they use the USB 3.1 or the Thunderbolt standard. Here is a rundown of some of the devices that use the USB-C.
Modern desktops and laptops all use USB-C ports hence they can work with different peripherals. That said, not all USB-C ports in computers function in the same way. Some laptops use USB-C for charging purposes only while others use it for charging and data transfer.
Moreover, most thin laptops use USB-C for connecting to displays in addition to data transfer and charging purposes. The main reason is that old video interfaces like the HDMI are a lot bigger hence can not fit the thin laptop’s design. There are new USB standards that make charging heavy-duty professional computers in the future.
Mobile devices like smartphones and tablets are a major category of devices with USB-C ports. Most modern smartphones feature a USB-C port for charging and data transfer excluding the iPhone of course.
However, for mobile devices, not all their ports will support video output.
Computers and mobile devices are the major players when it comes to USB-C. Nevertheless, anything that uses a USB-A or Micro USB could eventually get a USB-C port.
Devices like speakers, wireless keyboards and mice, smart home devices, Nintendo Switch, wireless headphones etc either already have USB-C ports or will have them in the future.
As expected, USB-C ports are becoming more and more popular in storage devices to utilize their fast data transfer speeds.
Related article: Nintendo Switch Not Charging? 9 Easy Tips to Fix It
What Are the Types of USB-C Chargers for My Devices?
There are a variety of quality USB-C chargers in the market to pick from. Below we will take you through the best options to meet your needs.
This charger comes in an ultra-compatible size but still packs a punch in terms of power. It is equipped with a 20W power supply, hence can provide fast-speed charging for mobile phones, tablets, your iWatch when connected with a magnetic charger, and more compatible devices.
Above all, it offers safe fast charging to your devices thanks to the intelligent chip inside whereby the PD charger automatically matches the current your device needs.
With the 45W Power Delivery USB-C charger, you can charge all the devices we have mentioned above but it is more efficient due to its wattage. For instance, Macbook Air will be charged at 100% after only 1.7 hours.
Apart from its efficiency, it also features the safe charging features we mentioned present in the 20W charger.
Lastly, we have this impressive 100W GaN Fast charger that will basically meet all your charging needs. It features four ports, three USB-C ports, and one USB A charging port. As much as it is compact, it has an impressive 100W power output, additionally, it has a foldable plug.
Related article: Gallium Nitride (GaN) Tech 101: Everything You Need to Know
How to Quickly Get My Phone Charged When in a Rush?
You won’t always get enough time to charge your phone. That is why below, we will give you some tips that will come in handy when in a rush.
- Turn your phone off when charging
- Turn on airplane mode
- Use higher watt USB-C chargers
- Keep your phone cool when charging
- Charge on the go
Related article: How to Make Your Phone Charge Faster and Safer
The last option is the best backup, therefore, it’s a good idea to get a power bank. It will come in handy when you are not close to a power outlet. There is a great range of options of power banks to choose from. They also come in compact sizes, the same size or smaller than your smartphone to economize on space.
With the growth in popularity of the USB-C, there are always going to be questions you may need answered. We are always happy to help. If you have more questions, subscribe to our blog or leave a comment below to get more information.