What Is a Docking Station Used for?
Many of today’s devices have been getting thinner and more compact to assist with everyday convenience. The convenience of such designs has resulted in the loss of several ports previously present on desktops and other mechanical devices. The loss of such ports is why docking stations are highly beneficial for those who do not necessarily use their laptops for their jobs, but might still need extra ports to connect their preferred devices. A docking station is the bridge to making laptops a working station, as PCs are. It assists one in using multiple devices simultaneously on a single laptop. Thus, providing a high-functioning and comfortable working environment for remote employees.
What is a docking station used for?
A docking station helps a laptop transform into a feature-rich workspace by adapting and connecting various sources, such as the monitor, printer, mouse, storage, backup drives, and even a local area network (LAN), to one’s laptop. It offers the flexibility of turning a laptop into the functional equivalent of a desktop when required.
- If one works remotely, one will need the docking station to transform their personal laptop into a functioning workstation conveniently.
- It eliminates the need for tangled wires and adaptors when connecting a laptop to multiple devices.
- One needs to track their peripherals by having one central location where everything is already prepared and ready to use.
Introduction of a docking station
As mentioned before, a docking station allows the simultaneous connection of one’s laptop to devices such as the scanner, printer, and other externals. This becomes handy when one needs to use several devices at one time. Because the docking station connects several of these devices at the same time, there is no need to deal with a tangle of cords or make room for adaptors.
Features of a laptop docking station
Features that enhance the usability of a docking station are listed below:
- Spare Cables
- Flexible Size
- Flexible Design
- The number of ports
- Enhanced audio output
- Enhanced video output
Choose the right Docking Station
Not every product one wants needs extensive thinking to buy it. But putting thought into buying something expensive is essential. A Mac docking station or a dock for other general laptops can cost a bit. That is why one should weigh the pros and cons of the model they buy to save costs later.
How to select a docking station?
To find the right docking station, one needs to ask themselves what they are looking for. Once the questions below have been answered in accordance with one’s needs, they are set to buy the dock that is perfect for them.
- What kind of port is one connecting to?
- How many ports are there in the dock that one needs?
- What is the difference between Thunderbolt and USB-C docking stations?
- Are they compatible with one’s laptop?
- What are their benefits?
- Is the docking station portable?
- Is it Mac-friendly?
Types of docking stations
The two different types of docking stations are:
1. Laptop docking station
Ugreen laptop docking station has a 5-in-1 USB hub with an adjustable stand for laptops and tablets. It is a foldable and portable device that caters to a productive lifestyle for an employee placed anywhere in the world. Any table can become a work table with the help of this docking station, and it can easily fit into a backpack or tote bag, whatever one’s choice of bag is.
One can easily set the device to their liking thanks to the four angles it can be adjusted at. The docking station specifically designed for such needs allows users to personalize their workspace and increase productivity easily.
Highlights of Ugreen Laptop Docking Station
- It can support most devices between 10 and 15.6 inches in length.
- The 5-in-1 USB C hub comes with
- 4K HDMI,
- TF/SD card slots, and
- 2 USB 3.0 ports.
- All of its ports can work simultaneously.
- It has a four-level adjustable stand. Adjustable at angles to degrees of 15, 25, 30, and 33.
- It has card slots for both SD and TF cards.
- It provides high-resolution visuals via the 4K UHD HDMI port.
- It is foldable to a size of 9.4 x 1.75 inches.
- It can be easily carried in a bag; hence, it is portable.
- It is designed for and can be conveniently used by:
- Office workers
- Hot Deskers
- Meeting Organizers
- Business professionals
- Cartoonists, and more.
2. USB-C Triple Display Docking Station
The USB-C Triple Display Docking Station from Ugreen offers an organized cable management system, thereby removing the hassle of tangled wires and adaptors. The USB-C multifunction Docking Station Pro comes with a 1 m USB-C cable, a CD driver, and a user manual in its kit. This 12-in-1 docking station allows one to extend the display across multiple monitors using one of the three displays.
This function helps eliminate the time wasted in switching back and forth between multiple programs or documents. It boosts the individual’s productivity, saves time, and makes their workplace a comfortable place to work in.
Highlights of Ugreen triple Display Docking Station
- It alone offers access to connections with multiple devices. The 12 ports of the docking station are:
- one DP,
- a single 100w PD 3.0,
- one USB A 3.2 port,
- one USB C 3.2, and
- two USB 3.0,
- one Ethernet port,
- SD/MicroSD card slots, and
- one 3.5mm AUX port.
- The HDMI2 port offers crystal-clear streaming up to 8K with Windows and 4K with macOS.
- It provides high transfer speeds.
- It expands up to three displays with its triple display feature.
- It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS X systems.
If one works remotely or is always on the go for work-related things, one should definitely invest in buying a docking station. It transforms a personal laptop into a working desktop by acting as a junction for multiple connections simultaneously.